Sunday, March 31, 2013


I was recently asked how I split my focus between my artwork (mixed media paintings) and my jewelry designs.  My immediate response was to state that I didn’t view the two as mutually exclusive.  Both involve an organic process that grows out of the materials presented to me.  Both activities require a dedication to present my worldview in a unique and expressive manner.  Both have meaning to me on a personal level but, the end products speak for themselves and I rely on my audience to determine what the compositions mean to them.

Jewelry is a bit more straightforward but nonetheless a certain statement is made by wearing it.  Artisan jewelry in and of itself expresses an appreciation for handmade products, with all its imperfections, as living a life of creativity, knowing who you are and unafraid to show it.  People who are drawn to handcrafted articles don’t follow trends, they are the trend.  The particular part of jewelry I enjoy most often is finding incredible stones (precious or semi-precious), there are so many!  Typically as I am perusing the catalog or website of my favorite bead/stone supplier, I find a stone that is different than anything I’ve seen before or the color is so overwhelmingly beautiful I can not resist ordering it.  Then I decide what to do with it, the creation of something completely unique from the normal mass produced jewelry is always a joy to me.  Which brings me to….

Gem for Today

AMETHYST

Attributes associated with Amethyst:
Extremely powerful with a high spiritual vibration
Enhances spiritual insights and calms the mind
Aids in developing clarity and improves focus
Helps remove confusion to assist with memory, improving motivation
Promotes emotional centering, dispels anger, rage, fear and anxiety
Stimulates the immune system
Alleviates spiritual, emotional and psychological pain
Balances and connects the physical, mental and emotional bodies

Although amethyst is one of the most common crystals (in the quartz family, oxide of manganese gives it its color), it is among the most spiritual of stones promoting love of the divine, encourages selflessness and spiritual wisdom.  Amethyst has a rich history and was highly regarded as a precious stone until large amounts were found in Brazil decreasing its value.  However, the spiritual qualities of the stone have remained strong throughout the centuries.  Most notably amethyst is thought to alleviate drunkenness, wished I known about this when I was younger!  According to Aristotle, amethyst was the name of a beautiful nymph who appealed to the Goddess Diana to protect her from the affections of Bacchus (Roman god of wine).  Diana in turn transformed her into a precious stone, whereby Bacchus, remembering his love for the nymph, gave the gem (amethyst) the power to dispel the noxious influence of wine from its wearers.  The Egyptians often employed amethyst as a charm to promote success in battle and illicit calmness in the face of danger.  Amethyst was widely regarded in the early Christian church and used in Episcopal rings and rosaries to attract tranquility in times of stress and bestow pious calm on its wearers.  Amethyst is known to ease the anxiety of death and helps transition the dying to the next realm as well as relieve the grief of loved ones.  Interestingly, it is said St. Valentine always wore amethyst.  During the Middle Ages, a time of chivalry and romance, if a lady presented the stone to her knight or a bride to a husband, in the shape of a heart set in silver, it was said to award the greatest happiness to the pair and blessings of good fortune.  Diamonds better watch out next Valentines Day, amethyst is taking over!

The necklace below is part of my new jewelry line.


Carved Amethyst used to enhance the silver chain
Full view of necklace with tassle

No comments:

Post a Comment